Here are a few helpful items to know before the hurricane comes.
- Know hurricane terms...
* Hurricane Watch - A hurricane is possible within thirty-six hours. Stay tuned for additional information.
* Hurricane Warning - A hurricane is expected within twenty-four hours. You may be advised to evacuate. If so, evacuate immediately.
- Ask your local emergency preparedness office about evacuation plans. Learn evacuation routes.
- Plan a place to meet your family in case you are separated from one another in the hurricane.
- Assemble a disaster supplies kit.
- Board up windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection. Also, you can use 5/8â€ marine plywood. Tape does not prevent windows from breaking.
- Know how to shut off utilities.
- Make a record of your personal property.
- Consider flood insurance and purchase it well in advance.
Disaster Supplies Kit
- Plan on one gallon of water per person per day, for drinking, washing, cooking, and sanitation.
- Store as much as possible in plastic containers such as soft drink bottles.
- Avoid using breakable containers, such as glass bottles or mason jars.
- Store at least a three day supply of non-perishable food.
- Choose foods that do not require refrigeration or cooking.
- Choose foods that are healthy and high nutrition type.
- Supplies and Equipment
- A battery operated radio with extra batteries
- A flashlight with extra batteries
- Blankets or sleeping bags
- Paper plates and utensils, including a non-electric can opener
- Candles and matches in a waterproof container
- Toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap and other personal grooming items
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- First aid kit and medicines
- Fire extinguisher